- p1 - 2006 film Children of men, 2005, V for Vendetta
- p2 - It's easier to imagine the end of the world than it is to imagine the end of capitalism
- p3 - the new defines itself in response to what's already established; at the same time, the established has to reconfigure itself in response to the new
- p7 - postmodernism=capitalist realism.
- p8 - the horror about the ways that capitalism has seeped into the very unconscious
- p9 - Kurt Cobain and his struggling with realisation that he is a part of mainstream
- p2 - the film performes our anti-capitalism for us, allowing us to continue to consume with impunity
- p10 - Simon Reynolds, 1996, The Wire
- p.15 - what needs to be kept in mind is both that capitalism is a hyper-abstract impersonal structure and that it would be nothing without our co-operation.
- p.16 - Michael Schudson, Advertising, the uneasy persuasion, 1984
- p.17 - Badiou, modernisation;Zizek
Zupancic: the rally principle is... ideologically mediated
- For Lacan, the Real is what any 'reality' must suppress
- p.18 - green issues, capitalism destroys the environment
- p.19 - privatisation of stress. Bureaucracy changed its form, didn't disappear
- 20. - education is the dominating imperative in capitalist realism
- p 21 - reflexive impotence, knowing that things are bad, but we can't do anything about it
- p22 - inability to pursue anything but pleasure, hedonism
- p22 - Kafka's The Trial, Ostensible acquittal and Indefinite postponement
Working from home, homing from work.
- 24 students: Post-literate 'new flesh' that is 'too wired' to concentrate
Page 33 - If the figure of discipline was the worker-prisoner, the figure of control is the debtor-addict
Page 33 - The attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
Page 33 -C apitalism is profoundly illiterate
Page 34 - Teachers are caught between being facilitator-entertainers and disciplinarian-authoritarians
Page 34 - Control societies are based on debt rather than enclosure;
Page 35 - combine rapacious pursuit of profit with the rhetoric of ecological concern and social responsi- bility
Page 35 - Being smart means being dynamic and nomadic, and against centralized bureaucracy
Page 36 - The persistent association of neoliberalism with the term ‘Restoration'
Page 39 - Michael Mann’s 1995 film Heat, ’
- p32 - R.Sennet. The Corrosion of Character: The Personal Consequences of Work in the New Capitalism
- p33 - the situation of family in post-Fordist capitalism is contradictory. It requires the family, even as it undermines it.